For most people in Ghana, finding a good job is the pinnacle of their professional dreams. They seek to go through school, graduate and find a stable and well paying job. Very few people, however, actively pursue professional growth. Very few people aim to keep growing and improving in whatever field they may find themselves in.
It doesn’t matter whether you run your own business or work for someone else: continual professional growth and development is the key to long term business success.
And although this isn’t something that can be done overnight, everyone can become the best version of themselves in business. And it’s never too late to start: if you didn’t give it much thought in 2016, you can always start in 2017.
Here are five key points to guide you to becoming your very best in business:
1. Put in the work
There’s no other way to put it: Quick fixes don’t work. If you’re serious about growing and developing yourself personally and professionally, there is no secret tip or trick that will bring the success you seek. You’ll have to put in dedicated effort. There’s no other way.
The truth is, no one creates significant success alone. On your journey to self-improvement in business, you will need to find others on the same path as you. You’ll learn valuable lessons from them.
The important thing here is to choose your companions wisely. Hanging out with people who do not share the same values and aspirations as you do will only hold you back, but the correct people will push you to be better.
As the saying goes: “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”
3. Leverage your strengths
We all have strengths: things we’re good at and love to do and perform better at than other tasks. We also have weaknesses, and typically tend to focus a majority of our energy “fixing” these. While it is always a good idea to improve on areas you might be lacking in, it is better to spend about 70% of your energy building on your already existing strengths, and the remaining 30% working on your weaknesses.
It’s better to be great in one area than to merely be good in lots of fields. Seek to leverage your strengths into more opportunities for you.
And while we’re on the topic,
4. Never stop improving on the little things
Just because you need to spend most of your time building on your strengths doesn’t mean you should neglect other areas. Constant improvement of the little things makes a lot of difference in the long run.
The road to becoming the best version of yourself in business is one that never runs out; there’ll always be room to get better, so don’t think that one day you’ll “arrive”. Always keep improving.
If asked for one indicator that guaranteed success, most people would say “luck”, or “talent”. This is, however, inaccurate: the biggest determining factor for success is the ability to persevere and not give up in the face of adversity.
There will always be challenges in any pursuit. What separates those who achieve success from those who don’t is the ability to weather the hard times and bounce back from setbacks.
As you embark on the journey of becoming your very best in business, accept that there will be tough and challenging times. Don’t be discouraged. Persevere.
In conclusion, remember that the future belongs to those who strive to become better in their business and professional lives. As we move into 2017, we hope you will embark on the journey of being your best in business. Great things await you if you do.
Our aim is to provide business-minded Africans with the necessary tools and resources to empower them build a successful business in online trading. We believe Africa is on the verge of a rise, and Africans will be the ones to drive the continent to the next level of economic expansion. For this reason, we dedicate our efforts to bringing to your doorstep, access to the world’s financial markets, which hold vast business opportunities.